Dubai, 21 February 2023: “Shrek the Musical,” the beloved stage adaptation of the hit Oscar-winning DreamWorks film, has been captivating audiences for over a decade. However, even the biggest fans of the musical may not know all of the surprising facts about this production. Here are ten things you may not have known about “Shrek the Musical.” The brilliant show will be brought to Dubai audiences THIS WEEK by Broadway Entertainment Group and Live Nation Entertainment in partnership with Du, Rove Hotels, and Dubai Calendar on February 22-26.
- The musical is based on the hit 2001 film “Shrek,” but it also draws inspiration from William Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”
- The musical score for “Shrek the Musical” was written by Jeanine Tesori and David Lindsay-Abaire.
- Brian D’Arcy James, who played Shrek in the original Broadway production, won a Tony Award for his performance.
- The famed line from the movie and play, “ogres are like onions”, took inspiration for the quote from the play Peer Gynt from Norwegian playwright, Henrik Ibsen, as he was the first to talk about the notion of a person having more layers to them, much like onions.
- The musical and film are based on the 1990 children’s book ‘Shrek!’ by William Steig.
- The musical has been performed in over 15 countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE.
- The “Shrek the Musical” costumes are some of the most elaborate in Broadway history, with over 100 costumes used in the production.
- “Shrek The musical” is now the longest touring Western musical in the Middle East.
- The original Broadway production of “Shrek the Musical” ran for over a year and received eight Tony Award nominations.
- The touring production of “Shrek the Musical” lands in Dubai from 22nd February, giving fans the opportunity to experience the magic of the show on stage.
For tickets and more information, please visit https://dubai.platinumlist.net/